Why is My Netgear Router Not Working?
It is really frustrating when the Netgear router doesn’t work properly. Just in case you are also having trouble enjoying the incredible services offered by the router, then you should thank yourself for clicking on this post. What you are going to read here are the tested and proven techniques using which users can bring their WiFi routers back to a working state easily. With that said, let’s start our troubleshooting guide focused on addressing the Netgear router not working problem.
Signs That Your Netgear Router is Not Working
Before you learn how to fix the issue, have a nudge on the scenarios where you can conclude that your WiFi router is not meeting your expectations. Here they are:
- Your WiFi router’s network name does not appear on any network list within its range.
- The internet connection provided by your router is spotty or zero sometimes.
- The LED lights present on the router are behaving weirdly or are not glowing at all.
- Your WiFi router keeps disconnecting every now and then.
So, these were the topmost symptoms that indicate that your WiFi router is not working. Considering that you are now well aware of them, let’s shed light on the reasons as well as solutions to get the problem resolved.
Quick Solutions: Netgear Router Not Working
Given in the following table are the major causes and easy-to-follow techniques using which getting rid of the issue is possible:
|1||Outdated firmware||Upgrade the firmware of your WiFi router to the latest version. You can do it either via the Nighthawk app or by visiting routerlogin.net.|
|2||Heavy network traffic||Consider disconnecting extra devices connected to the WiFi network of your router. Also, block unauthorized users accessing your WiFi network.|
|3||Fluctuating power supply||Ensure that a working wall socket is supplying electricity to the router. Moreover, be very sure that you are using a genuine power adapter.|
|4||WiFi signal interference||Change the location of your router and place it in an area where there is no interference-creating factor present. Most importantly, place the router near the modem.|
|5||WiFi radios disabled||Log in to your WiFi router to see if it is broadcasting its SSID or not. If not, then enable it. You also have the option of turning on the WiFi radio button on the router.|
So, these were some techniques that if followed can help you easily fix the issue in the discussion. But, what if the issue doesn’t resolve? In that case, you are required to spend some more time troubleshooting the problem. Check out the next section to know what can be done.
Is Your Netgear Router Still Not Working?
Power Cycle the Home Network
The first thing you can do to tackle the problem is to restart the entire home network. It is because a network glitch is most likely to cause the issue that you are currently facing. Rebooting will help you to get rid of them. However, you cannot reboot any device randomly. You must power cycle the home network in the following sequence:
- Switch off your modem and disconnect its power adapter from the wall socket.
- The next step is to turn off the router.
- Wait for a decent amount of time. Let us say 5-10 minutes.
- Now, switch on your modem and then the router.
- The power cycling process is completed.
Reset the Router
This is the last tip that must be followed if nothing works to resolve the Netgear router not working problem. Keep in mind that resetting the router will not only help you do away with the current issue but will also help you fix unknown issues. Therefore, you should definitely go for it. The steps mentioned below will make you learn how to reset your Netgear router:
- Check that your router is powered up and not sharing any kind of connection with any device.
- Thereafter, locate the RESET button on the WiFi router.
- It is generally located inside a hole in the router’s back panel.
- Once found, press it very carefully using an oil pin or a paper clip.
- You need to hold the button for 10-15 seconds.
- As soon as you release it, your router will reset.
The Final Words
After resetting, you will no longer be facing the Netgear router not working problem. However, the reset process will wipe out all customized settings of the router that need to be customized again via the web GUI.